Jobs at Goose Lane
1) Digital Content & Social Media Internship
Goose Lane Editions is hiring a Digital Content & Social Media Coordinator for a year-long internship.
The Digital Content & Social Media Intern will be responsible for the maintenance of all Goose Lane website domains, including social media platforms that build brand awareness and drive revenue and ONIX-compliant books databases supplied to retail and wholesale data aggregators. The successful candidate will exhibit the ability to understand data management, write engaging content for social media and web pages, and act as the voice of the Goose Lane brand on multiple content and social media platforms.
The successful candidate will have two very unique skill sets as outlined below.
Technical skill sets required to update, enhance and maintain the Goose Lane ONIX-compliant book database, websites and its e-commerce functionality, and social media platforms, including
- Strong working knowledge of WordPress, Adobe Suite and Google Analytics
- Basic HTML, XML and ONIX/coding skills
- Website design best practices, including accessibility
- Strong understanding of database management
- Technical documentation skills, including focus keywords, meta descriptions, SEO titles, URL redirects, readability optimization, specific word count inclusion, best linking practices, basic scripts
- Webpage optimization
- SEO advanced knowledge, webpage metadata knowledge, cross-browser compatibility
- Page statistical tracking
- Social media skills and content development skills required to act as the voice of Goose Lane across all social media and digital platforms, including
- Experience using social media analytics tools and the ability to tweak marketing strategies based on findings.
- Ability to create cutting-edge social media and digital marketing content.
The ideal candidate for this position will have also have the following professional qualifications, competencies, and personal qualities:
- Excellent writing, filming, photography, editing (photo/video/text), presentation and communication skills.
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in social media, marketing, communications, advertising, or a related area of study.
- Experience in marketing communications; specific experience working in the digital environment, including writing for the web and social media and extensive functional knowledge in social media platforms; proven track record building community through social media.
- Project coordination background with track record of managing multiple projects within given timelines in a fast-paced changing environment. Ability to establish priorities and to plan and monitor own work plan.
- A high degree of energy, creativity, and personal initiative and problem-solving skills.
Experience in the arts, literature and/or cultural sector(s) and a working knowledge of French will be considered assets.
This internship is a one-year term position and has the potential to become a permanent position, depending on the candidate’s skills and aptitudes.
Compensation: $30,000-$32,000 per annum based on a 40-hour work week.
Interested? Submit your resume and letter of application to:
Goose Lane Editions
Deadline for applications: 20 April 2019
2) Receptionist - Office Administrator
Goose Lane Editions is looking for an Office Administrator, responsible for ensuring that the backroom and front desk functions of the office run smoothly. The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic self-starter with the ability to work independently after a period of initial training. Excellent oral and written communications skills and an ability to work in a team environment are a must. This position is an 6-month Term position and requires attention to detail, discretion, and strong organizational skills. Responsibilities include:
- Reception duties and general office support
- Records management (electronic records and general office files)
- Supplies management
- Bank deposits, payments, and transfers
- Administrative support (travel arrangements, mailings, mailing list maintenance, meeting schedules)
- Office systems training
Customer service and inventory management
- Order processing and invoicing
- Accounts receivable and collections
- Customer support and troubleshooting
- Inventory tracking, maintenance, and replenishment at all warehouses, including inventory counts
- Shipping and receiving
- Warehouse maintenance and replenishment, including transportation of case lots
- A/R and other bookkeeping entries
- Database applications and management
- Assistance as required in data entry, payroll, and monthly and year-end report preparation
The person in this position will also supervise a part-time shipping clerk and may be required to perform shipping duties should the shipping clerk not be available.
This position requires a supremely well organized, efficient, diligent individual with a good sense of humour, a facility with numbers, an interest in the details of administration and administrative support, and an aptitude for database applications. The successful candidate will enjoy the demands of a fast-paced environment, demonstrate a strong sense of initiative, and enjoy the responsibility of resolving issues quickly, efficiently, and with a high degree of diplomacy.
- Positive, optimistic personality
- Enthusiastic about greeting and interacting with clients, visitors, and trades
- Excellent keyboarding/data entry skills
- A proficiency in the use of MS Office applications
- An aptitude for learning new software programs
- An ability to multi-task and change focus frequently
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Superior problem-solving skills
- The physical ability to lift and move cases of books
- An ability to maintain professionalism in a fast-paced, dynamic office environment
- A valid driver’s license and a vehicle
Remuneration: $13 - $14/hour for a 37.5-hour week plus compensation (at a mileage rate) for the use of a personal vehicle. Goose Lane offers a comprehensive cost-shared health care/ insurance package and a collaborative work environment.
Deadline for applications: 26-April-2019. Employment begins immediately.
Please send a detailed resume and a letter describing your previous employment experience to:
Goose Lane Editions
500 Beaverbrook Court, Suite 330
Fredericton, NB E3B 5X4
(506) 450 4251
3) Sales and Marketing DirectorThe Company
Goose Lane is an award-winning publisher based in Fredericton, New Brunswick, that publishes more than 25 titles each year for national and international markets. We’re looking for an engaged and committed Sales and Marketing Director with a passion for publishing. Your job will be to oversee marketing and sales of our complete line of books, from literary fiction and poetry to political memoir, from trail guides to history, art, politics, and narrative non-fiction.
The Sales and Marketing Director will work with the Publisher to provide overall strategic direction of the company’s sales and marketing initiatives. You will be responsible for developing and executing cohesive sales and marketing strategies for all of Goose Lane’s product offerings in all market segments and all territories with the objective of building sales, increasing profitability, and enhancing our visibility in the marketplace. This is a new position — a trail-blazing role.
General responsibilities include:
- The development of an effective sales and marketing strategy, including detailed plans, policies and processes
- Alignment of sales targets with the company’s strategic business plan and annual budget
- Implementation of strategic initiatives to support achieving the company’s goals and objectives
- Analysis of and reporting on Key Performance Indicators (incl. achievement of sales targets) in collaboration with the Financial Manager
- Creating sales budgets and forecasts
- Taking ownership of the overall sales strategy and targets aligned with the company’s business plan and/or annual budget
- Developing, implementing, monitoring, and enhancing national and international distribution, warehouse, wholesale, and sales strategies
- Establishing relationships with national and international retailers, both print and online
- Selling directly to key trade and corporate accounts
- Participating in discussions and decision-making regarding design, price, and format for each acquired title
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive marketing and brand strategy for the press
- Developing and implementing marketing plans and strategies for new and existing products
- Providing strategic input and market research for new acquisitions
- Developing and implementing an enhanced digital marketing strategy for the press
- Developing measurements and controls to continually monitor pricing strategies, sales volume, market penetration, and profits
- Analysing and presenting data and insights to internal and external stakeholders
- Participating in key trade exhibitions and events
- Ensuring appropriate and efficient workflow via consultation and appropriate delegation of work
- Monitoring the performance of the marketing team on an on-going basis, conducting performance reviews in the context of set established goals, and ensuring effective staff development
- Identifying training and developmental priorities for the marketing team to ensure that employees possess the requisite skills and knowledge to successfully perform their roles and responsibilities
- Coaching and mentoring employees, as appropriate, to improve individual performance and develop a motivated, high-performance team
Experience and Skills Required
- Knowledge and understanding of the adult fiction and non-fiction book market and a passion for independent publishing
- Excellent relationship-building skills and a demonstrable history of professional achievements
- Excellent interpersonal and customer relationship management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven digital marketing skills, including web and social media analytics
- A strong awareness of global marketing trends and techniques
- Highly organized and able to prioritise
- Self-motivated, professional, and assertive
- Proven experience in sales and key account management in trade book publishing including experience of selling into key online accounts
- Excellent project management and decision-making skills, including budget management
- Ability to work in a multi-functional team environment (including editorial acquisition, design, events, merchandising, rights, and retail)
- Demonstrable experience of industry software and IT systems
- Familiarity with Customer Relationship/Content Management Software
- A familiarity with French will be considered an asset
Salary: $45,000 per annum. Goose Lane also offers a comprehensive employee benefits program, a collaborative work environment, and flexible work arrangements.
Interested? Send your CV with a cover letter describing what you would bring to the position and your relevant qualifications to:
Goose Lane Editions
Deadline for applications: 29 April 2019