Jobs at Goose Lane
This is a position for an ambitious communications and publicity professional with an established network of media connections and a get-it-done attitude.
Reporting to the publisher, this publicity professional will collaborate with authors, agents, and the publishing team at Goose Lane Editions to create and execute innovative publicity strategies for each new season of releases. The individual who holds this position should be media-savvy and have their fingers on the pulse of the media that cover books in Canada. They must have a developed list of media contacts and an understanding of media expectations as well as a demonstrated track record of working with traditional print, broadcast, and online media.
As the lead in publicity for all releases, the publicity manager must have an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. They are responsible for the design and implementation of comprehensive publicity plans for new, forthcoming, and selected backlist titles; and for ensuring that such plans are implemented and communicated clearly to all stakeholders in a timely manner. The publicity manager will work closely with the marketing manager and the publisher; their work will be supported by the publicity assistant; the customer service representative, when necessary; and interns as required. The ability to work effectively within a team environment and to communicate clearly with other team members is a must.
- Designs and implements publicity campaigns across all media platforms, including digital media.
- Develops effective pitches and arranges interviews and other forms of media coverage for new titles/authors as well as new editions or titles from previous seasons that have continuing media potential with international, national, regional, and local broadcasters; print and online media; and bloggers and podcasters. Pitches to include pre- and post-publication coverage.
- Prepares authors for media interviews.
- Pitches author participation at festivals and reading series and supervises and/or organizes travel arrangements for the author’s participation in such events.
- Actively develops and maintains media contacts (print, TV, radio, and online/digital), including international, national, regional, and local contacts.
- Writes media releases, pitch letters, and other promotional campaign materials that will successfully achieve media objectives in international, national, regional, and local outlets.
- Participates in social media networking, including regular blogging, posting, and other forms of networking.
- Works closely with colleagues in marketing, sales, production, and editorial to ensure that publicity plans are consistent with the overall marketing strategy for each book.
- Supervises the development of and contributes to the monthly publicity update for distribution to staff, sales reps, and key stakeholders.
- Effectively communicates publicity protocols and campaign processes to authors while maintaining expectations.
- Represents the company at events or arranges for others to do so.
- Creates opportunities to raise the company’s profile.
- Develops the publicity budget for approval and both manages and monitors the expenditures and results.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 2-4 years prior work experience in publicity (with part of that time preferably at the associate publicist/publicist level).
- Exceptional and effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong relationships with top-line traditional print and broadcast media as well as digital media, and familiarity with local media in major tour markets across the country.
- Proven ability to generate creative angles and pitches.
- Fastidious attention to detail, highly organized, and able to keep to and/or work ahead of deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Extensive knowledge of the media and familiarity with book reviewers, magazine editors, producers, and bloggers.
- Proficiency with social media tracking and analytical tools.
- Excellent skills in diplomacy, a strong sense of initiative, and a high level of professionalism.
- Strong team-management skills, with a proven ability to lead and to inspire others to work together for mutual benefit.
- Ability to think strategically and adapt to changing circumstances in a highly collaborative team environment.
- A strong working knowledge of what is fresh in the media landscape and an ability to apply this knowledge to assigned projects and campaigns.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite and familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite.
Salary range: $40,000-$43,000 plus benefits
Interested? Send your resume with a letter describing your interests and qualifications to:
Goose Lane Editions
Attn: Susanne Alexander
500 Beaverbrook Court, Suite 330
Fredericton, NB E3B 5X4
Deadline for applications: 24 May 2021