Jobs at Goose Lane
Interested in books? Based in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Goose Lane Editions is an exciting place to work. We're small enough to provide you with a wide range of responsibilities, but large enough to provide an opportunity for you to become familiar with best industry practises by working with external accountants and industry colleagues. We're interested in innovating, reviewing our practises, and finding ways of improving what we do. We value our relationships -- with authors, editors, printers, booksellers, and distributors -- and the person who fills this position will be in regular communication with all of these key partners in the book industry.
We’re presently offering a 6-month term position (with a possible extension to 12 months) for a bookkeeper/accountant with experience in small business. The person occupying this position will be responsible for ensuring that the backroom and front desk functions of the company run smoothly during their term of employment. Excellent oral and written communications skills, and an ability learn quickly and to work in a team environment are a must.
- General office support
- Financial records management
- Bank deposits, payments and transfers
- Office systems training
- Administration of personnel policies, including health benefits, sick days, and other general personnel matters addressed in the company's policies.
- Performing daily bookkeeping functions, including account coding, data entry, and postings for both A/R and A/P and month-end reconciliations.
- Managing accounts payable, including liaison with suppliers and creditors, negotiating payment terms, responding to queries, and coordinating with the CSR on accounts receivable.
- Maintaining cash flow projections.
- Managing title records on Acumen, including general setup, royalties, product class and warehouse records, as well as inventory entries and job closings.
- Issuing semi-annual royalty statements and reconciliations.
- Preparing monthly financial statements and preparing documentation for the preparation of annual financial statements and returns.
- Monitoring revenue and expenses against budget.
- Preparing monthly sales reports for distribution clients.
- Preparing monthly commission reports for sales representatives.
- Scheduling and issuing payments to suppliers.
- Preparing payroll, including collection and review of timesheets, preparation of payments, implementation and monitoring of deductions, and maintenance of payroll records.
- Preparation of monthly returns of payroll deductions for Receiver General and quarterly HST returns.
- Preparation and submission of T5s, T4s, and T4As.
- Preparation of financial reports for federal and provincial governments, including special COVID-19 related submissions.
Reporting to the Publisher, the Financial Administrator has the principal responsibility of ensuring that the company's financial records are up-to-date and maintained at the highest professional standards. The person in this position will also work closely with the CSR and the shipper-receiver and may be required to perform the CSR's duties should the CSR be absent for any reason.
This position requires a supremely well organized, efficient, diligent individual with a good sense of humour, a facility with numbers, an interest in the details of finance and administration, as well as an aptitude for database applications. The person who takes on this role must enjoy the demands of a fast-paced environment, demonstrate a strong sense of initiative, and relish the responsibility of resolving issues quickly, efficiently, and with discretion.
- Positive, optimistic personality
- Hands-on experience using Windows-based financial system software (Sage products, Acumen, etc.) and advanced Excel skills
- A proficiency in the use of MS Office applications
- At least three years of solid experience in bookkeeping showing progressive experience in A/R, A/P, general ledger
- An understanding of fundamentals of accounting and book-keeping standards within a small business environment.
- Job cost and inventory management experience
- A certificate or degree in accounting
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Superior problem-solving skills
This is a 6-month, term position (with a possible extension to 12 months) with a salary range of $32,000 - $35,000 per annum.
Please send a resumé and a cover letter describing your specific qualifications and interests to email@example.com no later than 25 January 2021. Employment to begin in early February.