Goose Lane Editions is an award-winning independent publisher, based in Fredericton, New Brunswick, which focuses on the publication of works of literary fiction, poetry, art, history, biography, travel, current affairs, and social issues.
We are looking for an energetic, hardworking, dedicated, and well-organized individual with 2-3 years of experience as a production editor, who is equipped to be part of the management team at this dynamic publishing house. Working closely with the creative director and the publisher, the Production Editor plays a key role in the development and production of approximately 30 titles per year, often in multiple formats. Candidates must have editing acumen, administrative and project management experience and/or training, and a desire and ability to learn about all aspects of publishing.
The Production Editor is responsible for developing P&Ls for each title; maintaining editorial and production standards and schedules; hiring freelancers for both the Goose Lane and icehouse poetry imprints, as well as custom-publishing contracts; establishing and adhering to editorial budgets; and coordinating the steady flow of material through the editorial and production processes for print and digital formats.
Project management, including:
- Developing P&Ls for all titles.
- Building seasonal schedules for all titles in collaboration with sales, design, and publicity staff.
- Maintaining and monitoring production schedules and ensuring that books are delivered on schedule and on budget.
- Tracking project schedules in Copper (the in-house project management software), monitoring inputs from other staff members, and communicating regularly with in-house staff and freelancers about inputs and schedule changes.
- Trafficking all titles through substantive and copy editing as well as the editorial phases of production and reporting on any changes to schedules, specs, and costs at production meetings.
- Negotiating with freelancers regarding schedules and fees, and tracking invoices for these jobs.
- Coordinating the proofreading, QA review, and printer’s proof review for all titles.
- Preparing, maintaining, and archiving electronic and print project files for all titles.
Editorial duties, including:
- Handling and evaluating incoming material (including text and image files for all publications).
- Evaluating specific editorial requirements for each title and communicating such requirements to freelance editors.
- Reviewing edited and proofread material.
- Preparing and reviewing submissions for cataloguing data for Library and Archives Canada.
- Maintaining high editorial standards and ensuring adherence to established processes and house style.
- Preparing copyedited manuscript files for design and page-setting, including the review of illustrative material for all illustrated books.
- Identifying, preparing, and delivering pre-print materials to sales and marketing staff.
- Proofreading material in production, when required (i.e. page proofs, covers, press proofs, promo materials).
Digital Media responsibilities, including:
- Working with the design and production team to standardize editorial and design formatting for digital content.
- Setting schedules, hiring freelancers as required, and coordinating the flow of materials involved in eBook conversions.
- Checking digital files (i.e. eBooks) for editorial and design elements, and managing the process for reviewing and approving.
- Ensuring digital and website content is available to sales and marketing.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, History, Journalism or a related field plus certification in publishing or editing or equivalent professional experience.
- A familiarity with the processes of print and eBook production.
- A thorough understanding of editorial procedures and processes.
- A reverence for the Chicago Manual of Style.
- A working knowledge of Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, and HTML.
- A familiarity with project management is desirable.
- An understanding of French would be an asset.
- A firm grasp of project management, MS Word, and Adobe Acrobat, are essential.
- A familiarity with project management software and Excel is desirable.
- An understanding of French would be an asset.
This position is ideal for a person who excels in hands-on work. It requires an eye for detail, highly developed communication and organizational skills, and an ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects. This work is demanding and deadlines are always imminent. The production editor is an individual who thrives on the details, enjoys organization, administration, coordination, and collaboration, is deadline driven, and relishes navigating a lot of moving parts.
Salary $38,000-$42,000. Goose Lane offers a comprehensive cost-shared health care/ insurance package and a collaborative work environment.
Please forward a cover letter and a detailed resume to email@example.com
Deadline for applications: 7 Dec. 2017