Based in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Goose Lane Editions is an award-winning publisher respected for publishing quality high quality books with national and international appeal. For more than 60 years, Goose Lane has published innovative, award-winning fiction and poetry, as well as thought-provoking non-fiction in areas such as art, history, biography, politics, current affairs, nature, social sciences, the environment, popular culture, and travel/adventure. We are always looking for big, bold ideas, smart thinking, and lively writing that transcend these subjects and create new genres.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an innovative independent publisher as the Publicity Manager. We are looking for an active, self-motivated, and talented individual to join our busy team as an integral part of the organization. In this position, you will lead the promotion campaigns, create and implement effective marketing pitches and content messages directed to diverse audiences, work directly with both authors and customers, and liaise closely with our sales, editorial and design team. The ideal applicant is a dynamic, enthusiastic, creative PR/marketing professional who is driven, has good media contacts, and has an understanding of the publishing industry and its markets.
The Publicity Manager will work to secure media and market coverage for our titles by developing and managing national and regional publicity and promotion campaigns for approximately 25 titles per year. This position is responsible for promoting the company’s titles in niche areas as well as in general markets, in addition to helping to drive sales revenue by using both traditional and new media. We are looking for a well-organized, hands-on, and commercially driven individual, with a strategic focus on the trade publishing milieu, both in print and digital forms, and its markets.
You should enjoy working as part of team as well as independently, and you must have an eye for detail. You will need to be confident in liaising, building, and maintaining relationships with people across all channels. In addition to having an understanding of how traditional and social media play into today’s marketplace, you will also need up-to-date IT skills, a solid understanding of using metadata and bibliographic data, content management, and other digital workflow systems.
- Developing, implementing, and managing the budget for publicity and promotion for each season’s list, including e-marketing and traditional promotional strategies and campaigns, all the while bringing fresh and innovative ideas to the table.
- Orchestrating all publicity/promotion/marketing activity, including media activity, both traditional and digital, trade shows, author tours, advertising, catalogue distribution, award submissions, and so on.
- Creating press kits and news releases, managing review copy distribution, and securing reviews, interviews and other coverage in print and broadcast media.
- Writing smart, strong, and inspirational marketing copy for our print and digital content, including newsletters, catalogs, tip sheets, and other promotional materials to support our sales efforts.
- Planning and executing multi-city book promotion tours.
- Planning and executing social media campaigns across a wide range of social media channels.
- Using our resources and tools (website, catalogs, databases, etc.) to their full potential.
- Maintaining our website’s blog and event calendar, Goose Lane’s, twitter feed and Facebook page, and other online tools and keeping the content current.
- Communicating with sales reps and the management team regularly on publicity/marketing campaigns.
Desired Skills and Experience
This is a mid-level position, supported occasionally by interns and some administrative assistance. Candidates should be self-motivated and have the following qualifications:
- A background in publicity and promotion, working directly with authors, and a genuine interest in literature, art, current affairs, and written culture.
- An undergraduate degree and 2-3 years of experience in the publishing industry.
- An established network with a range of media/marketing contacts spanning different channels and platforms.
- A strong understanding of social media and how these platforms may be used to enhance and augment book publicity campaigns.
- Strong writing and communication skills both via email and over the phone.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills.
- A proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel and database management) and a working knowledge of basic HTML. An understanding of Hootsuite and MailChimp are desirable. Familiarity of with Adobe Creative Suite would be considered an asset.
Salary range: $35,000-$40,000, commensurate with experience. Goose Lane also provides a comprehensive cost-shared health care/insurance package and a collaborative work environment. If you’re interested in joining our team, please send your resume with a cover letter describing specific publicity campaigns that you have worked on to:
Goose Lane Editions
500 Beaverbrook Court, Suite 330
Fredericton, NB E3B 5X4
Deadline for submissions: 16 June 2017. Interviews will be held in Fredericton and Toronto in June. We appreciate the interest of all applicants. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.